The Baily Thomas Charitable Fund is a well-known funder of projects that positively benefit people with learning disabilities, which has been their sole beneficiary group since 2001 offering over £2.5 million in grants most years. With the vast majority of grants given by the charity below £10,000.
Only supporting organisations that are registered charities they make grants twice a year within three grant programmes:
- General Grants – appeals over £10,000
- Small Grants –grants of up to £5,000
- Research Grants – a small amount of grants are supported in this programme, with no limit to the amount applicants can request.
The type of projects supported within their general grants programme are:
- Capital building, renovation or refurbishment works for residential, nursing and respite care, and schools
- Employment schemes
- Play and play therapy schemes
- Day and social activities centres including building costs and running costs
- Support for families, including respite
- Independent living schemes